Well, Poop has become the topic of many conversations that my fiancé and I have lately. Poor guy. You see the night I moved in with him is the exact night I ended up in the hospital for a bowel obstruction. This man has been so sweet to me and puts up with my need to talk Sh*t all the time. HE HE HE
So here I am wanting to share some things that I am doing NOW and what I am finding out.
- People do not like to talk about poop as much as I do.
- People do not stand at the bowl right after they have a bowel movement and try to visualize how much poop there is. My doctors tell me to visualize a measuring cup and think about how much there is. (I know, I know)
- Those same people most likely do not look at the color, shape, consistency.
- I can also bet that they do not sit and talk openly with their loved ones about it.
I was that person in 2019 but now I am the sh*t … ha ha
No, really I am the one that is going to talk about it. I will talk about it while you are eating and then realize not the time.
Anyway, as I am trying to heal myself, and let me tell you it has become abundantly clear that I need to be the one to heal me. I realize that there is so much info floating around in that toilet.
So let’s get down to it shall we….
Let’s face it, we live in a time where digestive problems are just about normal in every individual. Chronic constipation seems to be reigning high amongst the older generation, while indigestion, flatulence and a weak digestion system is found more so amongst the youth. No matter what age, healthy digestion is one of the most components to a disease-free life. This however is overlooked and taken for granted almost always.
Our digestive system is the most undervalued function of our body and conversely the most important! The way our bowels function can tell us a tremendous amount about our health.
As mentioned above, the look and feel of your stools can be a great indicator of your health. This is a visual aid of what is going on and even though it’s considered all ‘hush-hush’, knowing the differences is vital.
Looking at the Bristol Stool Chart, a normal stool looks like type 3 and 4. About 75% of fecal weight consists of water. The other 25% includes protein, undigested fiber and solidified components of digestive juices, bacteria, fat and inorganic matter.
Bowel movement frequency will differ from person to person. Such as if it’s usual for a person to have two bowel movements in a day and suddenly the switch is to one per day or alternate days, for a long period of time, such changes can signify certain health problems. So look at your toilets people and get to know your poop it could save you life!
This bit is what my medical provider said.
Maintaining bowel movement consistency
- Apples have high levels of pectin and a lot of fiber which will remove all the toxins from your body and helps in flushing the feces.
- Drinking plenty of water on an empty stomach will improve bowel movement.
- Complex carbohydrates are a great source of fiber.
- Flax seeds is a digestive stimulus.
- Starting your day with warm water and lemon kick starts your digestive system.
- Avoid processed foods and refined carbohydrates and sugars.
- Aloe vera is a powerful tool in healing the damaged stomach lining and improves bowel movement.
- Eat adequate amounts of food which will stimulate stretch receptors in your stomach which triggers normal and mass peristaltic waves in your small and large intestines.
- Exercising is a great way of stimulating the digestive system.
- Above all, don’t control yourself when you have the urge to poop.
I would like to remind you that I am writing this blog as I learn things. I am not an expert, I am not a doctor. I am sick and trying to heal myself. Yes, Dr. Faith is now the student.
My gut health is not good and my adhesions continue to make things worse. SO I talk Sh*t, I look at it and I research it. I found out yesterday during a consultation with a Nutritionist that I might want to try a LOW FIBER – NO FIBER diet for 2 weeks to give my body time to heal. I never have done that yet. IN FACT, THIS LAST MONTH THEY (My doctors) PUT ME ON HIGH FIBER DIET! I GAINED MORE WEIGHT AND STOPPED POOING!!!
UGH as you can see it is going to be my job to learn my body and heal myself.
So what is next for me? Well here are the crazy ideas floating around in my head:
- Get certified in Nutrition so I can know more.
- Eat this low fiber thing for like 2 weeks see how I feel.
- Do another Cleanse and see if I can feel a bit better.
- Look into Low-Fodmap
- Look deeper into Lactin Free eating.
- Have more coffee and watch Netflix
During all this, I also know that I cannot let my self-care slip. I need to continue to find “JOY IN THE STORM” and keep writing so that I can get that book out. Yep, I am writing again.
What are you doing?
Do you study poop like I am learning too?